The A.S. Business Administration: Sport Management Degree Program is designed to prepare students for entry and mid-level positions of employment in the Sport Management field or for smooth transition into a four year Bachelor of Sport Management Degree Program of their choice. This program will provide students opportunity to build a solid base of general education courses and business courses and provide exposure to introductory sport management specific courses required for employment and for continuing their education at the baccalaureate level. Further, the program aims to assist in preparing qualified employees/managers to the many sport, athletic, fitness, recreation and tourism related businesses locally, statewide, nationally. The program provides students the foundation they need to seamlessly transfer to parallel bachelor’s degree programs and assists in development of the skills and expertise necessary to secure mid to upper level employment in the vast array of career paths that encompass the sport management field upon completion.
The mission of the A.S. Business Administration:Sport Management degree program is to prepare graduates to meet the challenges of a global sport society through their development of a strong base of knowledge and experiences related to the business of sport. Additionally, the mission of the program is to increase the number of qualified sport business professionals locally, state-wide, nationally and internationally and to provide well qualified professionals in the industry that have the potential to enhance the quality of life of the various constituencies they will serve. Further, the program aims to provide graduates a seamless transition into bachelor's degree programs in field of Sport Management.
The A.S. Business Administration: Sport Management Program will:
- Prepare students to apply the core functional areas of business, including accounting, marketing, management, and law, to make sound business decisions.
- Prepare students to apply the basic quantitative skills required in business.
- Prepare students to apply basic knowledge of the common components of sport management, including organization and planning, societal and cultural impact, and leadership.
- Prepare students to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Prepare students to demonstrate proficiency in using computer software.
- Prepare students for transfer into a four-year program in a related field.
Suggested Course Sequence:
||Intro to Sociology
|MAT or Natural Science
||Introduction to Business
||French or Spanish
|LIB 101 or HPE Activity
||Library Research or Phys Activity
||Literature and Composition
||Intro to Microcomputer Application
|MAT or Natural Science
||Foundations of Sport Management
||Principles of Marketing
||Sport in Society
||Principles of Microeconomics
||Principles of Management
||Business Law I
||Leadership For the Sport Professionals
|ART 111 or 113
||Digital or Traditional Photography
|MSM 118, HIS 101, 102, 121, 122 or PSY 101
Archive of prior degree requirements by academic year