Skip Navigation LinksHome > Registrar > Transfer Credit

Transfer Credit

If you previously attended other colleges, you must have official academic transcripts sent from those institutions.  Often these requests must be in writing to the previous college's Registrar, and there may be a charge for the service.  Failure to provide these transcripts could mean a delay in finalizing your admission to Clinton and/or a delay in the release of financial aid.  The official transcripts are also required in order to transfer credit from prior institutions.

Credit Evaluation

The amount of transfer credit accepted varies according to the curriculum requirements of the program being pursued; however, a minimum of fifteen (15) credit hours must be completed at Clinton Community College to qualify for a A.A. , A.A.S. or A.S degree.  A minimum of six (6) credit hours must be completed at Clinton Community College to quality for a A.O.S. degree or Certificate.

Transfer credits may be awarded, at the discretion of the Registrar, for the following reasons:

1.  Academic credit earned at a post-secondary institution which is authorized by a state Department of Education to grant an Academic Degree.  Grades of "C-" or better will be transferred in to CCC.  For grades less than "C-", see policy on transfer of "D" grades below.  "Pass" grades will be transferred in to CCC for credit, providing that the course and higher education institution in question meet transfer criteria. "Satisfactory" grades, student elected or college designated, will be transferred for credit, if the awarded credit for an "S" reflects a final grade at the value of 1.7 or higher. If the awarded grade is 1.69 the student can petition to have the credit transferred by initiating the "Transfer of "D" Grade form".

2.  Based on the recommendation of the American Council on Education (ACE), professional experience will be converted to a collegiate credits. Students may earn credit from any approved organization on file with ACE including, professional service through through military service schools, United States American Forces Institute (USAFI) courses and International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers (IBEW).

3.  Credit by examination through the College Level Examination Program (CLEP) when results meet the recommendation of the American Council on Education.

4. Credits earned through Champlain Valley Technical Center (CVTech) articulation agreements will be awarded upon receipt of a CVTech transcript and once the terms of the individual articulation have been met. 
5.  Credit by examination through the College Proficiency Examination Program with a minimum grade of "C-".

Transfer of credits do not affect the quality point average earned at Clinton Community College.  Only credit hours are transferred, not grades or quality points.

Special Transfer Credit Policies:
1.  The Nursing Program will accept transfer credit for Bio 228 - Anatomy & Physiology I, Bio 229 - Anatomy & Physiology II, and Bio 204 - Microbiology, if the course was taken within the past five (5) years.

2.  Clinton Community College will only accept Anatomy & Physiology credit if both courses are taken at the same institution. In the event that only one course is taken, the credit will be accepted as biology elective credit only. 

3.  The Department of Science at Clinton Community College (CCC) will accept transfer of a science course from another institution only if the said class includes a laboratory component. This class will be transferred as equivalent to the appropriate science class at CCC. If the transferred class incorporates a laboratory class, with no equivalent class offered at CCC, this class will transfer as a science elective credits. In the case where the transferred class does not incorporate a laboratory component the class will transfer as 'free elective' credits.

4. The Human Services program requires a C or higher in all 200 level Human Services courses.

Policy on Transfer of "D" Grades

Clinton Community College may accept for transfer credit, a maximum of three (3) courses (not more than twelve credit hours) for which a student has earned a grade of “D”. The request for “D” grade transfer must be approved by the student’s advisor and the student must meet either condition A or B below:

A. The student has completed a minimum of twenty-four (24) credit hours of study elsewhere with a grade of “C” or better for at least twelve (12) of the twenty-four (24) hours; OR

B. The student has satisfactorily completed one full semester at Clinton Community College with the grade of “C” or better for at least twelve (12) credit hours of study. Please note: This policy does not override any curriculumspecific policies.

Transfer of "D" Grade forms are in the Registrar's Office and must be completed and have required signatures.  The form must then be given to the Registrar for processing.