Skip Navigation LinksHome > Veterans Affairs > Military Spouse and Dependent Information

Military Spouse and Dependent Information

If you are a spouse or a child of someone who is or was in a branch of the U.S. military and are considering taking advantage of the education benefits offered by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, first ensure that the VA deems you eligible for those benefits.

Review and complete the VA Educational Benefit-Eligible Student Process:

More information on the Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance Program (DEA) (also called Chapter 35) it can be found on the VA's website:

The Veterans Online Application website also outlines the forms needed to support an initial application for those benefits. A dependant would fill out VA Form 22-5490. You can complete it online through the Veterans Online Application website:

For questions on the GI Bill, you can also call 1-888-GIBILL-1 (1-888-442-4551).