Skip Navigation LinksHome > Veterans Affairs > How to Use Your GI Bill Benefits

How to Use Your GI Bill Benefits


1) Any member of the military (active duty), veterans or veteran-dependents that qualify for GI Bill benefits must apply for benefits through the (U.S. Department of Veterans' Affairs) VA’s Online Application (VONAPP) website

*After applying for benefits it takes 6 - 8 weeks before you will receive a Certificate of Eligibility in the mail.  This Certificate of Eligibility is your proof that you are indeed eligible to receive funds under the GI Bill.  Please see a sample Certificate of Eligibility here: 

If you need to check on the status of your application once you have applied, you can do so via the GI Bill hotline:

1-888-GIBILL-1 (1-888-442-4551).

The Certifying Official (Financial Aid Office) here at Clinton Community College will need a copy of this letter in order to certify you to begin receiving these funds and to also be able to give you a Request for Deferral.  A signed Request for Deferral is what you will need to defer any portion of your college bill.  This means that you should apply for benefits through the VA no later than 8 weeks prior to the beginning of the semester in which you wish to enroll if this is your only available method of payment.  

2) Consult with our Consumer Protection and College Planning web page before applying; which can be found here:

3) Meet with Admissions advisor and apply for admission - Call (518) 562-4170 to set up an appointment and visit the Admissions Office page to apply:

4) Meet with the VA certifying official (Financial Aid Office-Paula Brooks) – Call (518) 562-4239 or email: Paula Brooks to set up an appointment.

5) Request a military transcript from either the JST system or CCAF if you are a veteran, on active duty or in the reserves.  For more information on how to do this, please see our Transfer Credit from Military page here:

6) Meet with Financial Aid Office and apply for financial aid and scholarships – Call (518) 562-4125 to set up an appointment and visit the Financial Aid Office page for more information:

7) Register for classes (You will be notified from the Admissions Office as to when and where to do this as a part of your acceptance packet).

8) Notify CCC's VA certifying official (Financial Aid-Paula Brooks) that you have registered for classes and are requesting to be certified to receive VA-related benefits (such as the GI Bill and Vocational Rehabilitation) by filling out the Request for Certification of VA Education Benefits form. The form can be found in your student portal under Administrative services on the left hand banner and should be filled out and submitted electronically within your portal.

To find out what amounts you should expect to receive from the VA once you are certified by the college's certifying official, please consult with the following:

- If you are receiving funds under Chapters 1606, 1607, 30 or 35 of the GI Bill, please review the monthly rate chart that applies to you on our Monthly Rates of Payment page here:

- If you are receiving funds under Ch. 33 (Post 9/11 GI Bill), please input your information into the Post 9/11 GI Bill calculator here:

-If you are receiving funds from Ch. 31 - Vocational Rehabilitation,  please consult with your assigned Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor at state/regional office of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.


9) Set up living arrangements / dormitory room - if you are going to be living in the CCC dormitories - call the FSA Office at (518) 562-4371 or visit their page at

10) Meet with your academic advisor (once you are assigned one during the first few weeks of your first semester attending CCC). If you need to speak to an advisor about your academic plans, please contact our Counseling and Advising Office by calling (518) 562-4199 or by visiting their web page here:

11) Connect with other military-affiliated students on campus -

CCC Veterans Club:

12) Notify CCC's Veteran Certifying Official (Financial Aid Office-Paula Brooks) of any change in status and/or course(s) once you have registered for your courses and have been certified as any of these changes could affect the status of your certification and subsequent financial benefits. The changes that you should notify the Registrar of are: adding or dropping any courses at any time before or during the semester; any withdrawals from a course or courses; or any change in name, address, phone or email address.

13) If you have been certified under Chapter 1606, Chapter 1607, Chapter 30 or VRAP of the GI Bill, then you must call the following number to verify your attendance starting on the last day of each month for which you are taking classes in order to receive your monthly GI Bill benefits:

Call 1-877-823-2378 or visit the following website to verify your attendance online

14) Register for classes each proceeding semester and notify VA Certifying Official (Registrar) that you wish to use your VA benefits by submitting a Request for Certification of VA Education Benefits form in your student portal for that semester.