Skip Navigation LinksHome > Veterans Affairs > Veteran-Student FAQ

Veteran-Student FAQ

  • How do I apply for my Veterans Educational Benefits?

         Apply for a Certificate of Eligibility online at or by calling 1-888-GIBILL-1.


  • How long does it take for an application to be processed by the VA?

         Once an application for educational benefits is sent to the Department of Veterans Affairs
         Processing Center it usually takes up to four to six weeks before the Certificate of Eligibility is
         sent to the student. The Certificate of Eligibility needs to be brought or sent to CCC’s
         Veterans Affairs Certifying Official (Tracy Guynup) as soon as it is received by the student.


  • How long does it take to get payment for educational benefits from the Department of Veterans Affairs?

          Once the college’s VA certifying official has certified the student’s registration of classes, the
          VA can take up to six to eight weeks to process a payment. (Depending upon the time of  
          year processing time may vary.)


  • How will schools receive payments under the Post-9/11 GI Bill?

          Schools will receive tuition and fees directly from the VA on behalf of each eligible student.
          All housing allowances and book stipend funds will be paid directly to the student.


  • How do I determine how much of my tuition and fees the VA will pay my school under the Post-9/11 GI Bill?

          The Certificate of Eligibility that the student receives from the VA after applying will state
          what percentage of tuition and fees that he or she is qualified to receive. For instance, if you
          are at 100%, then your benefits will pay for 100% of tuition and fees. The following chart
          shows the benefit percentage of maximum Ch. 33 benefit payable for each amount of time
          completed on active duty:

Active Duty Completed

% of Maximum Benefit Payable

At least 36 months


At least 30 continuous days on active duty and discharged due to service-connected disability


30 months to 36 months


24 months to 30 months


18 months to 24 months


12 months to 18 months


6 months to 12 months


90 days to 6 months



  • What is the period of eligibility for the Post-9/11 GI Bill?

           The period of eligibility for the Post 9/11 (Ch. 33) GI Bill ends 15 years from the date of the 
            last discharge or release from active duty of at least:

           - 90 consecutive days

           - 30 days but less than 90 days if released for a service-connected disability

           Or 15 years from the date of discharge for the last period of service used to meet the  
           minimum service requirements of 90 aggregate days of service.


  • Does your school accept CLEP Exam scores, DSST Exam scores, and DD214 forms as college credit?

          Yes, the Registrar’s Office will evaluate official documentation of CLEP Exam scores, DSST 
          Exam scores and DD214 forms for college credit.


  • Does your school have a Veterans Club on campus?

          Yes, Clinton Community College has a Veterans Club, found here: 


  • Can I transfer in credit from other colleges, universities, or institutions of higher education?

          Yes, if you have attended another college, university, and/or institution of higher education
          you will need to have that institution send your official transcript to the Registrar’s Office to
          be evaluated for transfer credits.

  • Are dependents of Veterans eligible for benefits?
         Yes, some dependents of Veterans are eligible to receive VA benefits under certain chapters
         of the GI Bill. 
         The dependent of a veteran would apply for eligibility the same way that a veteran
         would apply through or 1-888-GIBILL -1 (1-888-442-4551).

  • How do I set up Direct Deposit of my education benefits?

deposit is available for the Post-9/11 (Ch. 33), MGIB-Active Duty (Ch. 30), MGIB-
        Selected Reserve (Ch. 1606), REAP (Ch. 1607), and Survivors’ and Dependents’ DEA (Ch. 
        35) GI Bill benefits. Unfortunately, Direct Deposit is not currently available for VEAP (Ch. 

        To enroll in Direct Deposit, please do one of the following:

        Login to WAVE (or create an account if you are a new user) by going to .

        On the WAVE Main page, click on the link that says “Direct Deposit Enrollment Form.” This 
        form can be submitted electronically, or you can print out a hard copy and mail it to your local
        Regional Processing Office.

        Call us at 1-888 GI BILL 1 (1-888-442-4552)

        Completing a paper application for Direct Deposit. The form should be mailed to your 
        local Regional Processing Office.

        If you are new to WAVE and your enrollment has not yet been processed, you may not be 
        able to create a WAVE account. You will gain access once your enrollment has been