Skip Navigation LinksHome > Admissions Office > Admissions FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)

Admissions FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)

Questions and AnswersCan I be a CCC student if I don't have a high school diploma?

In order to be admitted to a degree program one must have a high school or general equivalency (GED) diploma. Applicants are advised to complete a GED course prior to applying to Clinton. Without a high school or general equivalency diploma applicants may attend Clinton in non-matriculated status, limiting their access to financial aid.

Questions and Answers Can I be accepted at CCC with an IEP diploma?

The New York State Education Department has ruled that an IEP diploma is different from a high school diploma in that it is not an indication of successful completion of high school study. Therefore community colleges, including Clinton, are under no legal obligation to accept students under the terms of the New York State Full Opportunity Policy. Without a high school or general equivalency diploma applicants may attend Clinton in non-matriculated status, limiting their access to financial aid. Once a GED has been earned students may be accepted at Clinton Community College and have access to financial aid.

Questions and Answers
What is "open enrollment"?

Clinton Community College offers open enrollment which means that an individual will be enrolled in an academic program if he/she has earned a high school diploma or GED.  Admission is non-selective with the exception of the Nursing Program.  Admission into the Nursing Program is selective and requires a separate application along with the general college application.  Click here for more information on the Nursing Program.

Questions and Answers

What is "full-time" study?

A full-time student is enrolled in 12-18 "semester" hours of study per semester.

Questions and AnswersWhat transcripts are required?

All matriculated (degree seeking) students must have official (in sealed envelope) transcripts sent from your high school and each previous college attended.  Transcripts are required from all colleges from which you took courses, including those taken during high school, and courses that were not passed or completed. A copy of a GED will be accepted in lieu of high school transcript.

Questions and Answers
I went to another college and my grades were not great. I want a fresh start at CCC.  Do I have to send the transcript from the college I previously attended?

Yes.  Our advisors can do their very best advsing when they have access to your academic history.  We want to provide you will all the support you need so that you can get off to a great (and fresh!) start at CCC.  We want to help you meet your academic goals!  

Questions and AnswersAfter being accepted, what should I expect?

Each semester, newly accepted full-time students will receive information/dates for placement testing and Registration.  We have several opportunities from May - August for the fall semester and October - January for the Spring semester to complete your Placement Testing and register for courses.  In addition, we offer limited dates which allow you the opportunity to complete both the test and registration on the same day.

New full-time students will meet with an advisor to discuss program requirements and specific course offerings. With assistance from an advisor, you will select courses.  Your advisor will then create your schedule based on your requests and course availability.   New part-time students are advised through the Counseling & Advisement Office.  We encourage all students to complete this process as soon as possible.  The sooner you complete these requirements, the more options you have for course selection.

Questions and AnswersDo I need immunization records?

Yes.  New York State law requires students born on or after January 1, 1957 to show proof of immunity against measles, mumps, and rubella.  Your high school, previous college or physician's office are usually the best options to locate your immunization history. In addition, all Residence Hall Students must provide proof of a current (within past 12 months), negative Tuberculosis test before moving into the residence hall.  If the TB test was positive, proof of a subsequent negative chest x-ray must be submitted.  If you have questions, DO NOT WAIT, contact the College Health Office.

Questions and AnswersDo I have to attend orientation if I previously attended another college?

Yes.  All full-time students who are new to CCC must attend our unique Orientation program.  There are several orientation dates scheduled during the month of August, please contact the Counseling & Advisement Office at 562-4199 for further information.

Questions and AnswersCan I change my schedule after registration?
Prior to the start of the semester, if changes need to be made to your schedule, you should contact the Counseling & Advisement Office at 562-4199 for assistance.  Once the semester begins, students will be able to alter their schedule during the add/drop period with their advisor.

Questions and AnswersWhat is the difference between an A.S., an A.A., and A.A.S. degree?

A.S. and A.A. degrees are designed to prepare students for transfer to four-year colleges to pursue a baccalaureate degree.  The A.A.S. degree is designed to prepare students for career opportunities and employment.  There may be situations when A.A.S. prepared students pursue bachelor's degrees, however, these students should work closely with a faculty advisor or the Career Planning Office.

Questions and Answers
What is a 2+2 program?

CCC has worked with several Bachelor's degree granting institutions to allow you to begin your study at CCC and transfer easily to a four-year institution (usually after two years and completion of your Associate degree) to complete the Bachelor's degree of your choice.  The written agreements which we sign with these institutions ensure that you can begin any of a vast number of programs at Clinton Community College and then transfer to a Bachelor's degree level institution to complete your bachelor's degree work in your chosen field of study.  Doing so makes earning a Bachelor's degree more convenient and will likely save you a considerable amount of money.  Wherever you are headed as you pursue a college degree, your pathway can begin at Clinton Community College!

Questions and Answers
What kind of housing do you have?

Fall 2018 is the last semester that Clinton will offer on campus housing. There are many great local options for off campus student housing. For more information on housing options, click here.

Clinton has very active campus life with many events for students, over 20 clubs to participate in, and opportunities for student leadership.  

Questions and AnswersWhat are your school codes?

Our Federal OPE ID# is 006787

Our State TAP School Code is 2036

                    Our CEEB Code is 2135

Questions and Answers
I have been convicted of a felony or been disciplinary dismissed from another college. Will I still be admitted?

Having a felony will not have an impact on your admission. Applicants who have been convicted of a felony no longer need to provide additional information for admissions purposes. You will need to provide this information only if you intend to live in housing on campus or before you register for an internship or clinical studies. Then you'll need to fill out the Supplemental Form F, as well as provide a copy of your criminal record.(Click here for more information). Once we have received those documents they will be reviewed by our Review Committee.

Applicants who have been dismissed from another college for disciplinary reasons must complete a Supplemental Form D, which will be reviewed by the Admissions Review Committee.